Topic: Starting up the fork of Mtp Target

Background

For those of you that have been active on the official forums knows that Ace (the only remaining developer of Mtp Target) has clearly showed that he has not enough interest in the game any more. A discussion about forking Mtp Target has been taking place on the official forums before but the topic was removed. We didn't achieve much that time anyway.

Goals

As I see it the main goals are to:

• Make the game completely free. - Not only in money but also like free software. The code is under the GNU GPL license which makes it free software but there are a few problems. The NEL library used in the game uses an non-free auido library for instance.

• Fix bugs, introduce new levels and continue develop the game. - Hopefully the game will be better and better by time.

What to Do

To get started we need be able to compile the game. Unfortunately there are no compile instructions and I havn't manage to compile it myself yet. When the game is compiled we can test so it is working (client ↔ server). A problem is that the server source is no longer being published in public so all we have is a many year old server source we found (see below). If you know where to find a newer version of the server we are very interested to know. It looks like the changes is not very huge so it might be possible to use the old server source with the new client source. If that does not work we can use the old client to start with and when that is working we can make the changes stepwise until we get closer to the todays game.

Get the Source Code

Client source code for the latest version can be downloaded at the Mtp Target website.
Old server (and client) source code can be found at an old GNA CVS Repository
To download all the files you need to have a CVS client installed. After that you can use the this command to download the files:

cvs -d:pserver:anonymous@cvs.gna.org:/cvs/mtptarget co mtp-target

This is all we got so far. No real work has been done. We don't have a source repository yet.

Help needed

I love to play Mtp Target and I really want this project to work out but I can't handle this on my own. To be honest I don't have enough experience in C++ to figure out all the compile errors I get so I really need help with that!

All help we can get is appreciated! Just respond to this topic or create a new topic.

New Name

We also need to come up with a new name for the game. We can't keep the original name (Mtp Target) because it's already used by the original game. But it's no hurry I guess.

Development Language

To make it easier for all of us I suggest that all the development and the discussions about it are done in English. I know many of the people who play Mtp Target is from France but to make most people able to understand it's important that we keep it all in English.